Did you know that teeth are the only part of the human body that can’t heal by themselves? Once you lose a member of your smile, it’s gone forever. But there is good news! Modern dentistry offers a number of tooth replacement methods that can fill in the gaps in your smile, boost your confidence, and benefit your oral health. We often recommend dental implants in Midtown East as the best way to restore your mouth’s function and appearance.
Dental Implants Have the Potential to Last a Lifetime
Other tooth replacement methods, such as traditional dentures and bridges, may last for a handful of years. Implants, on the other hand, have the potential to last a lifetime. The secret to their longevity is the unique bond they form with your own bone; after the implants are placed, a process called osseointegration occurs. Basically, this means that your body accepts the implants as your new tooth roots.
If all goes well, implants should remain in place for the rest of your life. Occasionally, the restorations (artificial teeth) on top of the implants may need repair or replacement, but the small titanium posts that support them should endure for a very, very long time.
Implants Offer Form and Function
Implants do much more than last a long time. Other reasons that dentists offer promote them as the best way to rebuild a smile include:
- They are extremely sturdy, able to stand up to all the rigors of everyday life.
- The restorations look very natural. Your cosmetic dentist in Midtown East is skilled at creating teeth that look amazing. Unless you want to brag about your implants, no one has to know that you have them.
- They help to protect your remaining natural teeth. Implants can prevent your teeth from drifting out of place, a problem that may lead to misalignment and even further tooth loss.
Helping Your Implants Reach Their Potential
One of the best things about implants is that they stimulate the jawbone, helping it to maintain its strength and density. However, on rare occasions an infection occurs that attacks the jawbone and compromises the implants’ base of support. For most people, preventing this from happening isn’t too difficult. You just need to:
- Visit your dentist regularly for checkups. If problems are identified early on, it may be possible to stop them before they lead to devastating consequences.
- Stick to an excellent oral hygiene routine. It’s vital that you brush and floss regularly. An antibacterial mouth rinse may help as well.
- Do your best not to smoke. Tobacco use can endanger your implants.
- Manage any chronic health conditions you may have. Some systemic problems, such as uncontrolled diabetes, can put you at an increased risk for oral health problems (like gum disease) that could harm your restored smile.
Why accept anything less than the best when it comes to your oral health? Dental implants from your dentist in Midtown East may be the ideal way for you to enjoy a gorgeous smile that lasts for the rest of your life.
About Drs. Boyd
We have five talented dentists in our practice, and they work together as both colleagues and family members to ensure that each patient receives excellent care. If you are interested in learning if dental implants are right for you, any of our doctors would be pleased to talk to you about this life-changing procedure. Feel free to contact our office at 212-755-9055.