At the Drs. Boyd, our dentists have provided general dentistry for more than 85 years to NYC families. As general dentists, we’re specialists in the prevention of oral disease. Keeping your smile bright and healthy. Nearly 65 percent of all dental procedures are either diagnostic or preventive. And we place a strong emphasis on oral health and hygiene.
You may be wondering what’s the difference between a general dentist and a prosthodontist in Midtown East? It’s not easy to keep those things straight, but when you need complex restorative care, you’ll see firsthand that the distinction really matters. Prosthodontists are experts in restoring the form and function of severely damaged or missing teeth. They have undergone extensive education to provide advanced care. We’re happy to share that there are now four prosthodontists on board at the Drs. Boyd — Dr. Norman Boyd, Jr., Dr. Paul Tanners, Dr. Ned Boyd and Dr. Andrew Boyd.
What’s a Prosthodontist?
Prostho- means replacement, and -dontist means of or related to the teeth. A prosthodontist has two to three years of additional education and rigorous training after graduating from dental school. A prosthodontist’s education includes learning advanced restoration and replacement methods to ensure a smile looks and functions just like it should after decay, disease, or injury.
Prosthodontists are experts in the following areas:
- Dental implant dentistry
- Dental veneers and cosmetic dentistry
- Dentures and prosthetics
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) therapy for an aching jaw
- Treatment of sleep apnea
- Traumatic facial injuries
- Oral cancer exams and rehabilitation
- Congenital disorders affecting face or teeth
- And others
Prosthodontists and General Dentists: A Comparison
- Have undergone three additional years more education than a general dentist
- Specialize in the replacement of teeth or repair of significant dental damage
- Are the only dental specialty recognized by the ADA for cosmetic dentistry – a “cosmetic dentist” is NOT a recognized specialty
- Often lead treatment planning — partnering with general dentists and other specialists
- Are at the leading-edge of the advanced technology that makes care more comfortable and efficient
Prosthodontists at the Drs. Boyd
You want the very best for your smile — and if you need something that goes beyond basic general or preventive dentistry, trust your smile to a specialist. With Dr. Paul Tanners merging his practice with the Drs. Boyd, we now have four prosthodontists who also practice general dentistry on our team: Dr. Norman Boyd Jr., Dr. Paul Tanners, Dr. Ned Boyd and Dr. Andrew Boyd. General dentists, Dr. Alvin Boyd and Dr. Justin Boyd, round out the Drs. Boyd dental practice offering comprehensive care to meet a full range of dental needs, all under one roof.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Visit an experienced team that’s made up of both general dentists and prosthodontists! With significant experience, training, and input from multiple areas of dentistry, the Drs. Boyd provide better care to meet the full range of dental needs. Request an appointment today!